My married friends can furiously deny this and vehemently curse me as much as they like. The fact is, the benefits of being single are very real – especially for someone like me who has suffered the consequences of being non-single.
Here are fully one dozen staggering benefits of being your own man:
1) C’est ta vie. It is YOUR life. That’s the biggest benefit of being single. You can lead your life as you wish to.
2) It’s good for your health. There are peer-reviewed studies that clearly demonstrate the beneficial effects of singleness on an individual’s health. In any case, it is far better to be single than be trapped in a bad marriage.
3) It’s good for your career. You can pursue the career that you really want to, irrespective of how much it pays or does not pay.
4) What you earn, you keep. And if you’re a frugal man like me, you can keep a lot.
5) Your social life improves greatly. One of the great fallacies about single people is that they do not have social lives. On the contrary. You can be with people whom you really want to be with, i.e. those who share your interests and hobbies. You are not obliged to socialise with people whom you absolutely detest, just to keep your wife happy.
6) It’s much easier to get a passport or any other legal document. Much, much easier. As I found out recently.
7) You lose weight. You get fit. That’s because you can spend quality time in the gym or in any enjoyable physical activity. That is, if you wish to.
8) You will never have any issues with your issues. And you will never have any grouse with your spouse.
9) You can leer without fear, and flirt without guilt. And that’s actually healthy for your self-esteem. The health benefits of flirting are well documented. Provided, of course, you flirt with the right people in the right situations, and not with complete strangers on the Internet.
If you’re married, try telling your wife that you were flirting with that hot nymphet at the office party, purely for health reasons.
10) You do sleep better. Go ahead. Snore all you want. There’s no one next to you.
11) You dress better. You look better. You eat better. You can take that IT course you always wanted to. You can go back to college to get that Master’s degree you deserve. You can visit the Andamans. You can really invest in your own self.
12) Most important benefit of all. If you are single, you will never have to worry about being legally victimised. If there is one single argument in favor of being single, this would be it.
And no one knows this better than I do. No one.
Make no mistake about it. Stay single. Stay free.
If you’re happily married, well then, good for you. But if you’re single and worried about it, then you have absolutely nothing to worry about. Get off your butt and celebrate your singleness.
And if people point fingers at you, then point just one finger back at them – your stiff, upright middle finger.
“Of all the people you will know in a lifetime, you are the only one you will never leave or lose.” Jo Coudert, American author.
Cheers … Srini.